Turnkey solutions for crankcases
HELLER CBC process chain
HELLER expands the process chain in crankcase manufacturing – comprising qualification, pre-machining and finish-machining – by the CBC CylinderBoreCoating process. CBC is a technology for the coating of cylinder bores of aluminium crankcases using electric arc wire spraying. For this new process, HELLER has developed the CBC 200 coating module.
- The CBC technology is a dependable process used in high-volume combustion engine production
- The CBC coating results in a 50% reduction in friction forces between the cylinder and the piston ring
- The elimination of cast liners enables a more compact crankcase design and significantly reduced cylinder bore spacing. This results in a reduction in engine size and weight savings
- All cylinder surfaces of current passenger car and truck engines with bore diameters ranging from 70mm to 150mm can be coated using the CBC process
- Pre-machining including fineboring and roughing of cylinder surfaces on a HELLER MC 20 machining module
- Heating of the crankcase
- Coating of the cylinder surfaces without structural changes of the aluminium base material in the CBC 200 coating module
- Precise finish-machining including hard fineboring on a HELLER MC 20 machining module and final „Spiegel-Honen“ (polishing by honing)
HELLER CBC 200 machining module
- The CBC module is ready for use in series production
- All process-relevant media are controlled
- Automatic workpiece / adapter changer for reduced idle times
- Automatic wire change with integrated wire-cutting mechanism and wire preparation during the coating process
- Optimised accessibility, maintenance-friendly burner unit, global service availability
- X/Y/A: 750mm / 610mm / +/- 47°
- Clamping surface: 800mm x 460mm
- Tool length: max. 600mm
- Max. pallet loading capacity: 150kg (incl. fixture)
- Rapid traverse (X/Z): 40 m/min
- Acceleration (X/Z): 5 m/s²
- Burner speed: max. 300rpm
Coating speed: approx. 30 sec. per bore workpiece
Changing time: approx. 20 sec.
Burner and wire change time: approx. 180 sec.
Engine types: I3 to V12
By the end of 2016, 32 CBC 200 machining modules will have been delivered and installed. Until 2018, a total of 65 systems for the coating of 26 million cylinder bores worldwide will be in operation. (updated: November 2016)
- German Innovation Award for Climate and the Environment (IKU) (2013)
Contact us! We will be pleased to answer any of your questions.